In 1911, Alfred Bacchini joined the wave of young immigrants moving from Italy to New York. To launch his new life in America, he had only a $20 gold piece and a train ticket to San Francisco. After years of scrimping and saving, he achieved his dream and opened his own business at the young age of 27. He opened Alfred’s on Vallejo Street in 1928, moving to 886 Broadway just one year later. He successfully ran Alfred’s until the 1970s, installing the crystal chandeliers (replicas of the chandeliers at the Vienna Opera House) and high-backed booths in the mid-50s. In the 1970s, he agreed to sell his restaurant to the Petri family, who owned bars and clubs in the neighborhood. In 1997, the family relocated Alfred’s to its current location on Merchant Street, which had been home to the famous Blue Fox restaurant for over 60 years. The Blue Fox was known as one of the City's poshest restaurants, and celebrities were frequent guests, including Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe.
In 2016, the Daniel Patterson Group took ownership of Alfred's, with a promise to continue the traditions that had made it part of San Francisco history. While the restaurant was refreshed, the red paint, leather booths and chandeliers remain the same, along with the commitment to create exceptional dining experiences for generations of San Francisco residents and visitors.
Executive Chef Charlie Parker
General Manager & Wine Director Lisa Robins
Service Director Andrew Fuentes
Thursday 11:30AM–2:30PM, 4–10PM